Puritan & Co.’s Chef Will Gilson made his famous Egg in a Hole using Nellie’s Free Range Eggs.
– 4 slices ¾ inch thick brioche or sliced white bread
– 4 Nellie’s eggs
– 1 cup sliced mushrooms
– ½ an onion, diced
– 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
– 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
– ¼ cup grated parmesan
– 1 oz butter, cut into 4 pieces
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a non stick griddle or pan to medium heat.
2. Using a 2 inch circular cookie cutter, punch a hole in the middle of each slice of bread
3. Place a piece of butter in the pan until it foams and melts. Add the bread and toast on one side for 1 minute until its golden brown.
4. Flip the bread and then crack the egg into the center. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until the egg is cooked to your liking.
5. Repeat with the remaining slices.
6. In a separate pan, cook the mushroom slices, onion, garlic and spinach over a medium-high heat until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach in wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Top each egg-in-a-hole with mushroom-spinach mixture. Grate fresh parmesan on each plate.