2 pounds Chicken, free range
¾ cup Olive oil
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Fresh thyme
To taste Salt and freshly ground black pepper
The process of removing the chicken from the bone is not easy for a novice cook. You may wish to purchase boneless chicken breast and boneless leg and thigh meat for this recipe.
– Remove the backbone and split the chicken in half.
– Mix together ½ cup olive oil, garlic, parsley and thyme. Marinate the chicken in the mixture for 1 hour, covered in the refrigerator.
– Place an ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Put the remaining ¼ cup olive oil into the hot skillet and wait 1 minute for it to heat up.
– Remove the chicken from the marinade, season all over with salt and pepper.
– Place the chicken halves in the skillet, skin side down.
– Cook on the stovetop for 10 minutes, then transfer the skillet to a preheated 450°F oven.
– Roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Use a thin metal spatula to pry the chicken from the pan so not to tear the skin.
– Serve with creamy potatoes and brussels sprouts.